ULE and FEC

Hello,

as new subjects are raised, like encryption, I was thinking it could be
interessant for ULE to propose a FEC system (Forward Error Correction). ULE
is aimed for a wide range of physical media, more or less exposed to noise
and error; therefore an error correction ability could be useful. Actually,
we could be inspired by the DVB-H draft that provide MPE with such a system,
called MPE-FEC. DVB-H derive from DVB-T standard, it deals with optimisation
for wireless communication like the reduction of the average power
consumption for mobile or a better resistance to noise.

MPE-FEC simply combine datagrams interleaving and a Reed-Solomon code. It is
designed in such a way that it will be transparent for a receiver not
supporting MPE-FEC. Datagrams are encapsulated and sent as usual.
Reed-Solomon parity bytes are transmitted on the same Pid but with a
different section type , for ULE it migth be a different type.

Your thoughts about that.

Benoit Oger
Thales Broadcast & Multimedia