Re: Solution for IPv6

From: "Ghassane Aniba" <Ghassane.Aniba@sophia.inria.fr>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 4:32 AM
Subject: Solution for IPv6

> Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
> >
> > <<snip>>
> >

> > > If we take in consideration, that most of IP packet are 1500 or 576,
and
> > > 40 or 48, and with a simple calcul, we see that the overhead don't
> > > affect.
> > > One thing more, i'll present another schema of encapsulation, into
> > > reduce the treatment on board the satellite.
> > >

> > NOT a good starting point. We should also be addressing IPv6, and not
constrain
> > the discussion to individual types of application. Some new applications
have
> > very different packet length distributions.
> >

> In my opinion, to propose a good and the best solution, we must wait for
> the satistics of the deployment of IPv6.
> The proposed encapsulation don't depend totaly on the lenght of the IP
> packets. I agree that if we change the lenght, we'll have other values,
> but it don't mean that it's a problem for us.

I disagree - we should NOT base the design on a parameter value which could
(and will) change such as packet statistics. We should comu up with a
flexible design that can support different services. Please take a look at
the RTP design, for example, for a flexible and lean protocol design.

> > The charter has also suggested we should consider compressed packet
headers
> > which may significantly change things for the smaller packet sizes.

we should keep in mind that header compression might be required by some
services but this should not be included in the design of an encapsulation
for a link/subnetwork level.

--cls