(4 bits from PID * 24 bits from @link_sat_adress) == 28 bits.

Kearney wrote:

> From: "Gorry Fairhurst" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
> >

> > Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

> 3
> the
> > >
> I think this is absolute overkill - to address 2^28 multicast groups or
> individual stations in ONE PID stream is unrealistic. And remember: every
> bit counts.

No, when i say that we'll map 2^28, i mean that we will use 4 bits from
PID and 24 bits which represent @link_sat_adress.
So we'll have for each PID 2^24, so what's the problem with that?

> > Could the " @link_sat_adress" be an adaptation header of EACH TS
> > Packet?
> >
> > If so, then  I think the combined (PID<label) looks very much as an
> > ATM (VP,VCI) in a pure ATM networks and the DVB  satellite - or MPEG-2
> > remux looks like an ATM VP_switch.
> >
> > In that case the thing you mark "SNDU" be a SNDU including header,
> > and encapsulation  fields including length, type, CRC, etc. ?
> >
> > If so , we may be fairly near in terms of format? - and each TS Packet
> > carries a part of a SNDU payload + encapsulation.
> >
> agree!

> (PID,@link_sat_adress)
> > > >
> that would make your switching table (theoretically) 2^13 * 2^28 = 2^41
> =approx 4*10^13 entries - how do you intend to implement this for an
> on-board switch?

Absolutly not, we will have at the maximum 2^28 entries (4 bits for PID
* 24 bits from @link_sat_adress).

> > - This seems like the signalling part.

> > Multicast will be interesting... and probably non-trivial.
> >
> yes - but absolutely important.
> And we must base it on realistic assumptions and keep the overhead low. Any
> additional functionality required for specific services should go into a
> "next level" or adaptation header - pretty much what RTP is doing which also
> limits itself to the basic real time transport function.

If we take in consideration, that most of IP packet are 1500 or 576, and
40 or 48, and with a simple calcul, we see that the overhead don't
affect.
One thing more, i'll present another schema of encapsulation, into
reduce the treatment on board the satellite.

Aniba.

--
Ghassane ANIBA
INRIA (Projet PLANETE)             | Email :