Re: MPE Question

Dear Siva,

you are right in that I had understood your question different.

Generally Sections do allow for numbering that is, one can put a payload (for example a DSM-CC object) into a number of Sections and with section_number and last_section_number the reassebler knows what to do. MPE uses this Section mechanism, so multiple Section operations should be possible. Actually I have never tested whether MPE decapsulators do support this in real, in principle they should (again the DVB databroadacst standard does not say too much, if anything, about it) but in DSM-CC Obejct carousels is a very usual mode of operation.

Siva Veerepalli wrote:
Thanks for the response Bernhard, but I am a bit
confused about the answer. Please see my question
below:

--- Bernhard Collini-Nocker <bnocker@cosy.sbg.ac.at>
wrote:

Siva Veerepalli wrote:
[...]
I understand that two MPE sections could probably
start in the same TS packet (I guess that is what you
mean by section packing).

Yes.

My original questions was, what is the usual practice
with regards to fragmenting an IP datagram over
multiple MPE sections (irrespective of how these
sections are transported in TS packets)? The DVB-H
(data broadcast standard) allows for this, however,
the IPDC interim specification requires that one
datagram be encapsulated entirely in one mpe section
i.e., no datagram fragmentation over multiple MPE
sections.

Now the confusion starts when one introduces the wording of "over multiple MPE sections", because there is no such thing as a MPE section fragmentation. I will have to read the DVB-H standard again in order to find out what it really says. I guess the only real issues the DVB-H wrt to IP is addressing is the necessity of a IP datagram encapsulated in MPE is to support time slicing (ie a burst transmission of the resulting TS packets to allow for power saving) and MPE-FEC (adding redundant code to allow for reconstruction). In that case I woould assume that it is very reasonable (especially with legacy equipment) to avoid all potential interpretations of MPE wrt multiple section operation and section packing.

thanks,
Siva
[...]

Yor are very welcome,
and I hope I got THE expected answer closer,
Bernhard