From: Tor Brekke
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 3:02 AM
Subject: Adaptation field use in ULE / MPG2-TS specification

Hello,

I am jumping into this discussion at a fairly late stage. Having just read the ULE draft I have to make a comment about the use of the adaptation field though. In the draft it says that "TS Packets from a ULE Encapsulator MUST be sent with an AFC value of '01'", i.e. without adaptation field. Now the adaptation field contains a private field which according to the MPG2-TS specification (ISO/IEC 13818-1) can be used to transmit system dependent data.
Now to the question: Why is this limitation imposed on ULE?

I have two main reasons to ask this.
1) Firstly there is ongoing work to use the private adaptation field for network internal signalling in the DVB-RCS standard. This means that ULE will not work over DVB-RCS systems employing the adaptation field signalling.
2) As far as I have been able to determine all other encapsulation forms over MPG2-TS are transparent to the adaptation field, i.e. the adaptation field and payload are handled independently (even though there may be an implicit connection between them). It seems strange to break this logicinf the MPG2- TS mechanism for a new encapsulation type.

Best Regards
Tor Brekke
Nera Broadband Satellite AS.