RE: CRC Issue in Security Draft

Hi Sunny,

See replies inline:

Quoting S.Iyengar@surrey.ac.uk:

> Hi Prashant and all,
> Thanks for your useful comments.
>
> Please find my comments below:
>
> 1) As indicated in the ULE specs a 32 bit polynomial CRC is sued to provide
> bit errors and integrity protection. And the receiver should first check CRC
> before it gets the complete SNDU in the buffer.  But once the security
> processing is done, at the receiver side the security process should be done
> first and then handle the SNDU.

Prashant: The security processing should not be done before the CRC check and
handling of the SNDU. This would violate the normal processing of the ULE SNDU
and this would not be a standard extension (as you have proposed) as descirbed
in the ULE RFC. If this is supposed to be a standard header extension (as
described in Section 5 of RFC 4326) then the processing of the extension header
(in this case the security extension header) should take place only after the
the CRC check. Gorry, am I correct in saying this?

> 2) In case of having the cryptographic integrity block, I agree that the CRC
> field becomes redundant whether it is encrypted or not. Because they both are
> doing the same thing but with more assurance in the cryptographic case
> (better anti collision properties). But the downside of this is more
> complexity.

Prashant: The integrity block may increase complexity but there is definitely no
use to have them both.

> 3) If only encryption is done on the packet then I agree with you that the
> CRC needs to be after the encryption block , so that some level of integrity
> is provided atleast against bit errors (physical channel).
>
> 4) The other option could be and this is addressed to the group to have a
> choice between the CRC or additional integrity block (if needed).

Prashant: This is what I had proposed in my
draft(draft-ppillai-ipdvb-sule-00.txt). But you have to be careful as you have
proposed that the integrity block is optional. And also removing the CRC
modifies the recevier processing of the SNDU as explanined in my draft. And
this would not be a standard extension header.