RE: CRC Issue in Security Draft

Hi Prashant and all,
Thanks for your useful comments.

Please find my comments below:

1) As indicated in the ULE specs a 32 bit polynomial CRC is sued to provide bit errors and integrity protection. And the receiver should first check CRC before it gets the complete SNDU in the buffer.  But once the security processing is done, at the receiver side the security process should be done first and then handle the SNDU.

2) In case of having the cryptographic integrity block, I agree that the CRC field becomes redundant whether it is encrypted or not. Because they both are doing the same thing but with more assurance in the cryptographic case (better anti collision properties). But the downside of this is more complexity.

3) If only encryption is done on the packet then I agree with you that the CRC needs to be after the encryption block , so that some level of integrity is provided atleast against bit errors (physical channel).

4) The other option could be and this is addressed to the group to have a choice between the CRC or additional integrity block (if needed).

5) I agree that the CRC should be after the encryption block, but may be redundant if using stronger cryptographic checksums.(MD5 , SHA-1).

Regards
Sunny

Sunil Iyengar,
Research Fellow, Networks Group,
Centre For Communication And Systems Research(CCSR),
School of Electronics, Computing & Mathematics,
University Of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH,
Surrey, England, United Kingdom.
Office: +44 (0)1483 686008