AD review of draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt

Hi All,

I have finished my AD review of draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt. This document appears to be in very good shape. I just have a couple of comments/questions on the document (see below) that I would like to resolve before sending the document to the IESG for final review.

Since any changes related to these comments are likely to be very small, I will send the document to IETF LC in parallel with resolving these issues. Gorry, if you like, you can wait until the IETF LC completes and make any changes resulting from these comments at the same time as you make any changes to address the IETF LC comments.

Margaret

---

4. SNDU Format

   PDUs are encapsulated using ULE to form an SNDU. (Each SNDU is an
   MPEG-2 Payload Unit.) The encapsulation format to be used for PDUs
   is illustrated below:

   < ----------------------------- SNDU ----------------------------- >
   +-+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
   |D| Length | Type |                 PDU                   | CRC-32 |
   +-+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

   Figure 1: SNDU Encapsulation

   All multi-byte values in ULE (including Length, Type, and
   Destination fields) are transmitted in network byte order (most
   significant byte first). The most significant bit of each byte is
   placed in the left-most position of the 8-bit field. Appendix A
   provides informative examples of usage.

 A destination field is mentioned in the text, but not shown in
 the diagram?  It might make sense to how/where the destination
 may be included before mentioning it.

   5.1 Test SNDU

   A Test SNDU (figure 10) is of a Mandatory Extension Header of Type
   1. This header must be the final (or only) extension header
   specified in the header chain of a SNDU.

[...]

   5.2 Bridge Frame SNDU Encapsulation

   A bridged SNDU is a Mandatory Extension Header of Type 1. It must be
   the final (or only) extension header specified in the header chain
   of a SNDU.

 Is it intentional that the Test SNDU and the Bridge Frame SNDU
 headers cannot be used in the same SNDU?

3. Description of the Method

[...]

   The ULE encapsulation is limited to TS private streams only. The
   header of each TS Packet carries a one bit Payload Unit Start
   Indicator (PUSI) field. A PUSI field with a value of 1 indicates the
   presence of at least one Payload Unit (SNDU) within the TS Packet
   payload.

 s/the presence of at least one/the start of at least one/  ??

 If I understand this correctly, the PUSI field will be 0 if
 the TS does not include the start of an SNDU.