Re: Allocation of a stream descriptor for MPEG-2

See below...

Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Mar 14 2005, at 20:57 Uhr, Allison, Art wrote:

And you seem to be referring to the ULE encapsulation -- that is not on the
table to discuss as that RFC is moving on in the process -- we are now
addressing how one standardizes how this class of packet is not confused
with other packets in a Standard MPEG-2 transport stream.

Ah, you seem to be addressing writing a new document that describes this mapping.
This is certainly one good way to do this.

In Minneapolis last week, we discussed the possibility of inserting the code point for the stream descriptor into the existing ULE document, in an "IANA action" like way (i.e. late in the RFC editor pipeline). Only in that context does my comment (the MPEG tables should not be a mandatory part of the ULE encapsulation) make any sense.

Gruesse, Carsten

Ah, yes Carsten, I now see where the confusion may have come from. Indeed, the suggestion at the working group meeting was that we should try to define one or descriptors that could be directly referenced as a small addition to the ULE RFC. There is still a small time period in which we could propose such a final addition to ammend the document (with IESG approval), before it is published as an RFC.

I suggest this is worth considering, since such descriptors are *required* in the context of MPEG-2 TV networks. If we need to describe more of the mechanisms by which this should be done, we could include this as a part of the Address-Resolution (AR) Working Group document, when this is written.

Gorry