RE: Allocation of a stream descriptor for MPEG-2

Well, of course, non-standard means can be used, but by definition, these
are not Standard/RFC means. Non-MPEG-2 means can be used as well. But I
don't see any relationship of those facts to the discussion on the table.
(A transponder full of just ULE packets would clearly not be MPEG-2
complaint, and would be at least suboptimal to use packetization with such
heavy (2.1%) overhead in such a transponder.)
So suggesting that one can rent the entire TS does not answer the question
which was clear to me from the thread context.  I read Mr. Dolan's question
to be the same as the longer question: "How will you know without ambiguity
in a Standard manner that the stream contains ULE packets if you don't?"

I have reviewed Mr. Dolan's contribution and am convinced he has outlined
how to send ULE packets in a way that uses the MPEG-2 transport in a way
that is not only consistent with 13818-1 but also is consistent with ATSC. I
am less expert with DVB, but it appears to be consistent with DVB transport
as I understand it as well.

As to  MPEG-2 users standards 'magic'; well, sorry if this is sufficiently
advanced technology that the difference is not discernable... but how to put
ULE packets into the MPEG-2 transport stream so that MPEG-2 TS systems work
well simply uses private table section structures that are linked with
pointers.
And you seem to be referring to the ULE encapsulation -- that is not on the
table to discuss as that RFC is moving on in the process -- we are now
addressing how one standardizes how this class of packet is not confused
with other packets in a Standard MPEG-2 transport stream.

Only if one asserts that ULE packets are never expected to be used with any
other packets in an MPEG-2 TS can one sustain a claim that there is no
standardization needed.

Discussions of non-standard alternatives may be interesting but it is hard
to see how they progress development of the standard means/RFC.

I support documenting Mr. Dolan's contribution as the approach to
identifying and enabling location of ULE in MPEG-2 TSs.
Art Allison
Director, Advanced Engineering
NAB Science & Technology
1771 N St NW, Washington Dc 20036