Von: "Siva Veerepalli" <sivaveer@yahoo.com>
An: <ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. November 2004 05:24
Betreff: DVB-H MPE/timeslice question

> I have been reading the DVB-H standard, and have a
> question regarding MPE bursts and time slicing. The
> standard says each ES i.e., MPE stream is transmitted
> as a burst within a time slice. It also says that
> there can be more than one elementary stream within a
> single time slice.

This is correct.

> I am assuming this means, there can be other ES's such
> as PSI/SI in addition to the MPE stream of interest in
> the time slot.

PSI/SI do not run in slices, they are send continuousely.

   However, I have not found anything
> explicitly stated that indicates that there can be
> multiple MPE streams within a single time slice, i.e.,
> two bursts of elementary streams within the same time
> slice.

In general one burst refers to one time slice, but you can pass more than
one IP stream in one burst (buffer both streams in the same burst buffer and
send this burst in one time slice. To differenciate the MACs, you still have
bytes 5 and 6 (other are used for real time data and buffer address
location).

With our IPE this can be even IPv4 and IPv6 mixed in one burst / time slice.

> Can some one please clarify this? If this is possible,
> it would have an impact on the implementation of the
> receiver since n*x memory (where n is the number of
> MPE-FEC bursts and x is a max of 2Mb)would be required
> in the receiver.

n * 2 mb would be required, if you want to receive more than one independent
burst. Have a look into the DVB-H implementation guidelines.

> I guess a more basic question is, would a receiver
> need more than one MPE burst to present a program of
> interest?

No. In general programs will not be splitted.