Re: Security Considerations section for

OK here is my take on the coping:

Rod.Walsh@nokia.com wrote:

I think it is a wonderful idea to properly consider IPDVB security requirements. I would just like a sanity check that I still understand the field of what the group would consider. Are these statements about right?

* IP-layer/level security (IPsec, MSEC, etc) provides a handful of solutions. Use of these and further specification of IP-layer security is beyond the IPDVB solution scope.

- These are IP-level solutions, it would be reasonable to advocate their use, both with MPE, ULE and any associated network protocols. I would suggets it *is* reaonable to discuss these in the context of this list - If there is (which I have no indication of) any further development work required to update the specs specifically for DVB/MPEG-2, the actual work would probably be done within a security area working group.

* security above IP-layer (DRM, SRTP, etc) are well beyond IPDVB solution scope.

- Agreed.

* security on MPEG-2 TS (CA, etc) is beyond IPDVB (and IETF) solution scope.

- The set of currently defined mechanisms will not be re-specified or developed within this WG under the Charter specified. It was my understanding that Conditional Access (CA) systems are generally proprietary, and few target IP services.

* If necessary, ULE security mechanisms would be IPDVB solution scope.
- Yes, the transport of encrypted IP data is within scope.
- Security also need to be considered in respect of the control protocols used to provide the IP service....

Am I roughly on target with these?
Yes, that's a useful summary.

If so, then the use of the IPDVB Security Requirements is clear to me: 1. assess whether any IPDVB security requirements should be met by the ULE-layer and the IPDVB deliverables that would be needed for this; 2. for other IPDVB security requirements determine whether additional work in other WGs is necessary.

BTW, it may also help to describe any security problems MPE deployments currently leave open. (Currently I am ignorant of any in MPE-layer scope).
- Any inputs from the list?

Cheers, Rod.