Re: "Frame" DVB

Il giorno Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:30:49 +0100, in uno stato di totale
incoscienza,
gorry <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> casualmente disse:

> on 9/9/02 5:23 pm, Alessandro De Donno at alessandro.dedonno@unile.it
> wrote:

Thanks gorry for your replay. I think it's really hard to compare DVB-S
and ISO/OSI model under a "level" point of view!

Just another question.
We have two coding (outer and inner) and not only one "powered" (for
example Reed-Solomon) because it would be more expensive (i.e. a
RS(255,188,8) instead of RS(204,188,8)). And above all we want to avoid
that random errors (on single bits) enter in the interleaver because it
couldn't correct burst errors (single bit errors + burst errors). The
dimensions of the interleaver are based on RS codeword (204 bytes), so
we can't make the interleaver bigger.

Is this correct? If not, why two coding? Or: why an interleaver based on
RS codeword?

Thanks again, gorry.

aded