Extra comments - I-D ACTION:draft-clausen-ipdvb-enc-00.txt

Hi Everybody,

I attended (also Bernard Collini- Nocker was there) the ESA presentation
on "ip security over satellites" .  There was a good interest in the ip
encapsulation for DVB.

Back to the draft, I think the new draft looks good and I had been
following the recent discussions.  I have few extra comments and I hope
it will improve the final version:

* A table of content is missing in the beginning.
* A Security Considerations section is missing.  I would like to
contribute to this section, but I am not sure about the issues.  Has
anybody thought about any security problems, then I could make some
comments.
* I think it will be beneficial to add a small section about the main
problems with current MPE (such as large overheads and complex options,
implementation compatibility, etc ..) and provide a brief comparison
with the new leaner encapsulation.  This will help a lot the people who
are not familiar with MPE.
* Finally I have two a basic comment:
1. The size of "type" field in the SNDU encapsulation format (figure
1).  Why do we have to stick with two bytes size (16 bits) where the
types are only 4 types only (ipv4, ipv6, mpls and Br. Ethernet)
2. Is there really a need for CRC ?

Regards
Haitham
--
Dr. Haitham S. Cruickshank

Senior Research Fellow in Communications
Centre for Communication Systems Research (CCSR)
School of Electronics, Computing and Mathematics
University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK

Tel: +44 1483 686007 (indirect 689844)
Fax: +44 1483 686011