Re: Switching mpeg2 packets on satellite

----- Original Message -----
From: <harri.hakulinen@nokia.com>
To: <ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 7:06 AM
Subject: RE: Switching mpeg2 packets on satellite

> Moro, It seems that we are approaching the point...
>
> If you put "Label" to TS level, you are really playing
> the "ATM card", because you now have PID/Label pair in
> comparison to VPI/VCI pair.
>
> In other words, that label can't really relate to individual
> SNDU's, because they really are "inside the pipe".
>
> If you want to switch SNDU's, you need to do it based on
> a field that is inside SNDU...

Right - if you really want to use the Label for switching you need to map it
into each TS-packet header, as close as possible to the PID field. Otherwise
you have to reassemble the complete SNDU and switch that packet - fragment
it again into TS-packets etc...; except, of course, if the next link is e.g.
a PPP link.....

> //Harri
--Horst