Antwort: How can we use PID in switching?

Hi,

you can decide to transmitt all IP in one PID or to assign particular IP
addresses to separate PIDs (e.g. subnet grouping).
But you should be in mind, that:
- the PIDs are coded in 13 bits, 0x1fff (dec. 8191) is the maximum PID number.
Means. no chance to map all IP in different PID
  (therefore subnetworks and a few particular IP connection).
- some receivers and recption devices are not able to support so many parallel
PIDs. Therefore the IP connections to one
  device should travel in one or in not so many different PIDs.

But nevertheless, the idea to map IP to PIDs is a good idea especially in case
there are PID routers in a video network
(I do not know if it exists, perhaps also remultiplexer) and you want be sure
that the logical IP overlay fits to the physical
transport stream network ...

Best regards

Torsten Jaekel
Product Marketing Datacasting
Rohde & Schwarz FTK GmbH
Wendenschlossstr. 168, Haus 28
12557 Berlin
Germany
Phone: +49 30 65 89 1 - 103
FAX:     +49 30 65 55 02 21
email: Torsten.Jaekel@FTK.rohde-schwarz.com

|+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
||   Ghassane Aniba              |                                             |
||   <Ghassane.Aniba@sophia.inria|           An:        ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk  |
||   .fr>                        |           Kopie:        (Blindkopie: Torsten|
||                               |   Jaekel/FTK)                               |
||   18.03.2002 16:35            |           Thema:        How can we use PID  |
||   Bitte antworten an ip-dvb   |   in switching?                             |
||                               |                                             |

Hi everybody,
thanks for your answer.
But, in general, we use PID to separete between sound and video streams,
so how can we use it to switch the IP Packets?
If we have many IP adress(more than 2pow(24)), how can we map between
PID and @IP?

--
Ghassane ANIBA
INRIA (Projet PLANETE)             | Email :