Re: ip-dvb - PROPOSED CHARTER

Thanks, see in-line comments:

"Montpetit Marie-Jose (NVO/Boston)" wrote:

> Beware of the QoS quagmire and be aware that there is a new working
> group (NDIS) part of transport that will look at novel signaling for QoS
> of IP traffic starting with wireless and if we are doing to right thing
> coming up with a framework for all IP traffic over whatever.
>
> I would really like to get out of MPEG2 or even DVB specific approaches
> since compression changes, encoding changes but QOS remains :-) Let's
> start with an architecture of what we the DVB people need in terms of
> QoS and try to coordinate with others.

Maybe we should keep QoS in mind, but focus first on the other goals.
Perhaps by then, there will be progress on the generic issues?
That doesn't stop people sending in specific ideas in an ID.

> I also would like the group to make sure that the work done in the DVB
> standardisation group for IP does not overlap too much with what IETF is
> doing.

This has always been a concern, so far we have not received any negative
feedback, once the list's goals had been clearly understood by the DVB
community. There is still a need to co-ordinate the two efforts, and I
suspect some advice will be needed in specifying a good technique
to resolve an IP address to a specific transport stream.

> I think one issue that has to be addressed and maybe a new
> "encapsulation" could have fields for that is the issue of multiple
> gateways. Yes you can get IP traffic from your satellite but also (at
> the same time) from your DSL line, you cell phone, you PDA what not.
> Where to you send what? This goes beyond the current scope and is a real
> problem right now. Probably reaches onto the level 8 (content-based)
> routing.

Seems very applicable to next generation systems - and I can see
immediate possibilities  e.g. multimedia home platform. There's also
a case (perhaps) of receiving multicast from various sources?
So, I agree it would be useful to identify these issues early.

> Another point is that an awful lot of hardware exists right now that
> uses the current MPE stuff. Do we have an idea on how this would degrade
> "gracefully"?

Added this too.