RE: ip-dvb - PROPOSED CHARTER

Beware of the QoS quagmire and be aware that there is a new working
group (NDIS) part of transport that will look at novel signaling for QoS
of IP traffic starting with wireless and if we are doing to right thing
coming up with a framework for all IP traffic over whatever.

I would really like to get out of MPEG2 or even DVB specific approaches
since compression changes, encoding changes but QOS remains :-) Let's
start with an architecture of what we the DVB people need in terms of
QoS and try to coordinate with others.

I also would like the group to make sure that the work done in the DVB
standardisation group for IP does not overlap too much with what IETF is
doing.

I think one issue that has to be addressed and maybe a new
"encapsulation" could have fields for that is the issue of multiple
gateways. Yes you can get IP traffic from your satellite but also (at
the same time) from your DSL line, you cell phone, you PDA what not.
Where to you send what? This goes beyond the current scope and is a real
problem right now. Probably reaches onto the level 8 (content-based)
routing.

Another point is that an awful lot of hardware exists right now that
uses the current MPE stuff. Do we have an idea on how this would degrade
"gracefully"?

The rest of the charter looks ok.

Marie-Jose