Questions about draft-combes-ipdvb-mib-rcs-01.doc.

I have now read the above internet draft, and have the following questions/comments. In a separate email, I will also list editorial comments to assist in preparation of the next version of this I-D.

I have NOT reviewed the MIB structure for this revision. This would be appropriate once any corrections are applied and I would like to see this done also before we forward this to our AD for processing.

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst

---

General comments:

A) Definitions of terms

I think if this document is to be published for use by the Internet Community, it should include a section on "Naming Conventions" used within the MIB. While I am familiar with the under-lying technology, it is probably a bad pre-requisite for readers, and certainly likely to raise questions when submitted for a MIB Review by MIB-Experts.

One way to fix this is to add a subsection to section 3, that lists the acconyms/abbreviations and their corresponding definitions within this document.

Terms not currently defined at the start of this document include:

ACM	Adaptive Coding and Modulation
ATM	Asynchronous Transfer Mode (cell framing)
BER	Bit Error Ratio
BUC	?
CCM	Constant Coding and Modulation
CNR	Carrier to Noise Ratio
CSC	Common Signalling Channel
CW	Continuous Wave (carrier frequency)
dBi	deciBel (isotropic)
dBm	deciBel (with respect to 1 mW)
DSCP	DiffServ Code Point
IDU	InDoor Unit
IFL	Inter-Facility Link
LNB	Low Noise Block
LO	Local Oscillator
MIB	Management Information Base
MPEG	Motion Pictures Expert Group (TS Packet framing)
NCC	Network Control Centre
OAM	Operations and Management
PHB	Per-Hop Behavior
ODU	OutDoor Unit
PID	Program ID (MPEG)
RCST	Return Channel via Satellite Terminal (DVB)
Rx	Receive
SSPA	Solid State Power Amplifier
Tx	Transmit
VCI	Virtual Channel Indentifier (ATM)
VPI	Virtual Path Indentifier (ATM)
Vpp	Volts peak-to-peak

---

B) Architecture is not clear.

A diagram in the introduction that links the ODU and IDU with an IFL would be helpful, especially if it identified the location of the LAN interface, Air Interface, etc. Is this a suitable starting point?

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Monaco or
                      Courier.

             +------------+
             |  IP        |
             |  End Host  |
             +-----+------+

     - - - - - - - |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    |              | LAN interface                 |

    |       +------+--------+                      |
            |  Indo|r Unit  |
    |       |  (IDU)        |                      |
            +------+--------+
    |              |                               |
                   | Inter Facility Link (IFL)
    |              |                               |
            +------+--------+
    |       | OutDoor Unit  |                      |
            | (ODU)         |
    |       +------+--------+                      |

    |              | Air Interface                 |
     - - - - - - - |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      RCST         |
                   +-------->

FIGURE XX

---
C) Is the intention to support IPv6 equally to IPv4, and how is this refelected in the current MIB?

---

Comments on specific sections:

---
1) dvbrcsIfMib value 239.
Is the descriptor assigned in section 2.1 already assigned by IANA, or to be assigned by IANA as a result of publishing this RFC?

I can see a current registry entry as:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers
239 dvbRcsMacLayer DVB-RCS MAC Layer [Combes, ETSI EN 301 790, SatLabs]

This is not the same as declared in 2.1. This inconsistency needs to be corrected.
---
2) IANA Considerations (relating to note 1)

Section 5 is read by IANA during the publication process. This should be updated to tell IANA that this has already been assigned (and indicate the registry used), or that this needs to be assigned. (see note 1), e.g. "This document includes no request to IANA. The assignment described in Section 2.1 has already been assigned under the XXX registry."
---
3) dvbrcsMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
The contact information could include a postal address, in addition to the electronic contact details, e.g.:
Postal: xxxx
---
4) dvbrcsMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
"DVB-RCS MIB subtree. Draft version B."
The description included in the MIB itself seems to lack sufficient detail to describe what the MIB is about and the technology to which it relates.
---
5) Possible normative reference to [SATLABS]
"systemSatlabsOptions"
Says:
"Indicates the options supported as defined in SatLabs system
   recommendations version 2."
- This reference appears to be normative, in that correct interpretation of the MIB will depend upon definitions external to this document. The document cited is NOT a standards body specification (which is fine, but not normal for a normative reference). My question is to whether the descriptions are provided in the document (which could be informative), or definitions (which sound normative). Could the authors please clarify?
---
6) systemLocation
"NMEA 0183 format: is cited, but no reference provided.
---
7) Page 58:
The values /rtnstatusEbN0/ etc
use the digit "0", rather than the letter "O", was this intentional?
---
8) Page 45: ctrlRcstTxDisable
This states: "This variable shall force the RCST to stop transmission
   (transmit disabled as defined in [1])/
- What is [1]?
- Cited references need to be formatted correctly.
---