Re: Fwd: ULE SEC REQ draft rev -03

Dear draft authors,

I am missing the following particular paragraph from my edits within section 3.1 (between the last and the but-last paragraph):

However, the end-points of a communication might not be under central
control (such as when browsing the public internet), and then it may not
be possible to rely on end-to-end security. ULE link security will then
provide protection against attacks on the weakest link within the
communication chain, i.e. the ULE broadcast link (see section 3.2).

I think it is a case important enough to be outlined, i.e. a case where an "ordinary" end-user (compared to a company) has no possibility to enforce end-to-end security, yet he does not want "the whole world" to potentially see the data he receives (e.g. the web sites he visits). It demonstrates another reason for why ULE link layer security is desirable, IMO.

Do you disagree?

(The wording of cited paragraph should be reworked in part, though.)

Michael

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

Dear WG,

The draft below has been uploaded to the I-D archives (and will be published soon), please send any comments you may have to this list, particularly on the new sections.

Security requirements for the Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/ids/draft-ietf-ipdvb-sec-req-03.txt

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst