RE: A proposal for a link timestamp option for ULE/GSE - Comments?

<I am not taking a position here in support of or in opposition to the invention of yet another link timestamp.>

I suggest no larger than 5ms tick, unless you do not care about lip-synch,  that is, the RFC will state that this RFC is not intended to support delivery of synchronized audio-video streams of at least 'broadcast' quality.

See IS/191 at http://www.atsc.org/standards/is_findings.html  for broadcast emissions. It recommends a limit of 15 ms for the minimum lead of audio with respect to video, so a 'tick' time that has resolution lower than the limit to be maintained seems problematical as an effective tool.

<I am not supporting or opposing the invention of yet another link timestamp.>
Art
_____________
Art Allison
Director, Advanced Engineering
Science & Technology
National Association of Broadcasters
1771 N Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
Phone: 202.429.5418
Fax: 202.777.4981
aallison@nab.org

The National Association of Broadcasters is a trade association that advocates on behalf of more than 8,300 free, local radio and television stations and also broadcast networks before Congress, the Federal Communications Commission and the Courts.