RE: Trying to find words to describe how PIDs are used.....

Hi Art,

Thanx a lot for your comments.

See inline.

Regards
Prashant

Quoting "Allison, Art" <AAllison@nab.org>:

> Well, indeed it is important to define terms.
> At the top level; per 13818-1, there are Program Streams and Transport
> Streams.
> First, put aside Program Streams. (From 13818-1:"The Program Stream is
> designed for use in relatively error-free environments and is suitable
> for applications which may involve software processing of system
> information such as interactive multi-media applications. Program Stream
> packets may be of variable and relatively great length.")
> Continuing from 13818-1:
> "The Transport Stream combines one or more programs with one or more
> independent time bases into a single stream. PES packets made up of
> elementary streams that form a program share a common timebase. The
> Transport Stream is designed for use in environments where errors are
> likely, such as storage or transmission in lossy or noisy media.
> Transport Stream packets are 188 bytes in length."
>
> A Packetized Elementary stream can be constructed from a continuous
> sequence of PES packets of one elementary stream with one stream ID.
>
> So 'MPEG-2 Stream' is indeed ambiguous in meaning.
> Notwithstanding the mental discord, I attempted modifications in
> <yourspeak> below demarked by //

PP: I absolutely agree with you. It is important to be careful in usingdefining
the stream.

> _____________
> Art Allison
> Director, Advanced Engineering
> Science & Technology
> National Association of Broadcasters
> 1771 N Street, NW
> Washington, D.C. 20036
> Phone: 202.429.5418
> Fax: 202.777.4981
> aallison@nab.org
>
> The National Association of Broadcasters is a trade association that
> advocates on behalf of more than 8,300 free, local radio and television
> stations and also broadcast networks before Congress, the Federal
> Communications Commission and the Courts.

PP:Yes, It is important to define the stream properly to be able to clearly show
what is the aim of the security extensions.

>  > Does a Stream always only have ONE originating source?
>  //AA>I think that is so... if not then the meaning is lost on me.//

PP: This is true. But here again whatis the Stream. If this is refering to the
elementray stream then yes it has a single originating source, but it is
important to note that the PID associated with it may not be unique.

>  > That is, does the PID imply a specific intended source?
> //AA>No, because as you cover below, these PIDs are ephemeral and
> changeable by any multiplexer.
> If the PID is anounced in a PMT, it can change with each PMT section,
> although typically it does not.//

PP: Agreed. PID Mapping can take place in any multiplexer in between.

--
Prashant Pillai
Research Assistant