From: Gorry Fairhurst [mailto:gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk]
Sent: Thu 31/08/2006 10:00
To: ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk; P.Pillai@Bradford.ac.uk; mnoist@cosy.sbg.ac.at; Iyengar S Mr (CCSR); AAllison@nab.org
Subject: Re: Trying to find words to describe how PIDs are used.....

Thanks Art,

I think the only way to make sure people understand is to get the
language correct. While I was trying to be precise on the security
aspects, my language got a little loose again, sorry.

I agree with all you say, we should remember the context of an IP over
ULE Stream which serves a (large) community of Receivers... and the
document should be clear on this from the start. I've incorporated your
corrections, and a few more to tighten this up, do people think this is
  better?

Gorry

----

Perhaps it may better to preface the introduction with something better
text, e.g. replacing it with?:

OLD:
Abstract

        This document provides a threat analysis and derives security
        requirements for MPEG-2 transmission links using the
        Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE). It also provides
        the motivation for ULE link-level security. This work is intended
        as a work item of the ipdvb WG, and contributions are sought from
        the IETF on this topic.

SUGGESTION?

Abstract

The MPEG-2 standard defined by ISO 13818-1 [ref] supports a range of
transmission methods for a range of services. This document examines the
provides a threat analysis and derives security requirements when using
the Transport Stream, TS, to support an Internet network-layer using
Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE), RFC 4326. The document
also provides the motivation for link-level security for a ULE Stream. A
ULE Stream may be used to send IPv4 packets, IPv6 packets, and other
Protocol Data Units (PDUs) to an arbitrarily large number of Receivers
supporting unicast and/or multicast transmission.

---

Suggestion to add text to 3.2 (although on re-reading, perhaps adding
something like this in 3.1 befor the final paragraph of the section, is
a better place??):

In a MPEG-2 TS transmission network, the originating source of TS
Packets is either a L2 interface device (media encoder, encapsulation
gateway, etc) or a L2 network device (TS multiplexor, etc). These
devices may, but do not necessarily, have an associated IP address. In
the case of an encapsulation gateway (e.g. ULE sender), the device may
operate at L2 or L3, and is not normally the originator of an IP traffic
flow, and usually the IP source address of the packets that it forwards
do not correspond to an IP address associated with the device. When
authentication of the IP source is required this must be provided by
IPsec, TLS, etc. operating at a higher layer.

The TS Packets are carried to the Receiver over a physical layer that
usually includes Forward Error Correction coding that interleaves the
bytes of several consecutive, but unrelated, TS Packets. FEC coding and
synchronisation processing makes injection of single TS Packets very
difficult. Replacement of a sequence of packets is also difficult, but
possible (see section 3.2).

A Receiver in a MPEG-2 TS transmission network needs to identify a
TS Logical Channel (or MPEG-2 Elementary Stream) to reassemble the
fragments of PDUs sent by a L2 source [RFC4259]. In an MPEG-2 TS, this
association is made via the Packet Identifier, PID [ISO-MPEG]. At the
sender, each source associates a locally unique set of PID values with
each stream it originates. However, there is no required relationship
between the PID value used at the sender and that received at the
Receiver.  Network devices may re-number the PID values associated with
one or more TS Logical Channels (e.g. ULE Streams) to prevent clashes at
a multiplexor between input streams with the same PID carried on
different input multiplexes (updating entries in the PMT [ISO-MPEG], and
other SI tables that reference the PID value).  A device may also modify
and/or insert new SI data into the control plane (also sent as TS
Packets identified by their PID value).

The PID associated with an Elementary Stream can be modified (e.g. in
some systems by reception of an updated SI table, or in other systems
until the next annuncement/discovery data is received).  An attacker
that is able to modify the content of the received multiplex (e.g.
replay data and/or control information) could inject data locally into
the received stream with an arbitrary PID value.

One method to provide security is to secure the entire Stream at the
MPEG-2 TS level. This stream of TS Packets carried in a multiplex are
usually received by many Receivers. The approach is well-suited to
TV-transmission, data-push, etc, where the PID carries one or a set of
flows (e.g. video/audio Packetized Elementary Stream (PES) Packets) with
similar security requirements.

Where a ULE Stream carries a set of IP traffic flows to different
destinations with a range of properties (multicast, unicast, etc), it is
often not appropriate to provide IP confidentiality services for the
entire ULE Stream. For many expected applications of ULE, a finer-grain
control is therefore required, at least permitting control of data
confidentiality/authorisation at the level of a single MAC/NPA address.
However there is only one valid source of data for each MPEG-2
Elementary Stream, bound to a  PID value. This observation could
simplify the requirement for authentication of the source of a ULE Stream.

---