Re: Repost: DVB-S2 GSE and IPv6 DAD

Just a couple of thoughts on this issue...

DaD can be treated as a special case of multicast or a generic multicast solution should be able to support DaD.

The most compatible solution would be:
- having source and destination MAC addresses on the encapsulation protocol for multicast traffic. - having source and destination IPv6 addresses on the encapsulation protocol for multicast traffic.
- having a unique MAC address (at least from a upper layers point-of-view)
- having a multicast reflector proxy at the hub.

A more efficient solution would be:
- solving multicast and DaD independently
- having at the hub a proxy agent that would keep records of the DaD packets and would reply in the name of the terminals. - having a module in the terminal that would match sent and received multicast packets and emulate the loopback by inserting the source IP address.

I don't know if this solves the problem completely.

best  regards

Fausto

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
Thanks Tina,

I'm forwarding this to the ipdvb list, although the context of your email was DVB/S.2 (i.e. GSE) the issues you raise seem to be more generic to the use of multicast with UDLR, and I think should be discussed on this list and addressed in the chartered work on address-resolution,

i.e. in a revision to:
draft-ietf-ipdvb-ar-03.txt

Thoughts?

Gorry