Re: I-D ACTION: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt

Hello,
I'm a bit confused, sometime before we received similar draft from P.Pillai
on the same area ( secure ULE).
The security requirements discussed by "draft-ppillai-ipdvb-sule-00.txt" are
already discussed in detail by "draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt".

In general, the DVB terminals are just a forwarders i.e. Forwards IP packets
from DVB interface to Ethernet interface (DVB-S/DVB-RCS) and forwards IP
packets from Ethernet interface to DVB interface (DVB-RCS). They don't do
much packet processing, that makes the DVB terminal simple and cheaper in
performance. I was wondering there was no discussion in these drafts about
the performance issues by implementing these security encryptions and
decryptions. In these drafts it was referred to IPSEC and its
functionalities, but at the same time we should not forget the IPSEC
performance degrades and hardware based accelerators

Best Regards,
William Stanislaus | Technical Consultant
Nortel Networks Division | CalSoft
email: williams@calsoft.co.in | Mobile: (+91) 98409 10581
SkypeIn (VoIP): +1 (650) 515 3738
www.californiasw.com