Re: ULE Linux kernel code

Hello Gorry!

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

5. Fixed/Improved filtering on destination address (if present in ULE SNDU)
(1) Now, everything is passed up the stack if in promiscious mode.
(2) The address of the receiver device and the broadcast address
(FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) are always accepted.
(3) If in multicast mode, all addresses in the multicast address list
are accepted (in addition to 2).
(4) If in all-multicast mode, all multicast addresses are accepted (in
addition to 2).

How is the multicast address list populated?
- Do you also pass all IPv4 packets with the prefix 224.0.0.x?
- Is this by configuration only, or via routing protocols or IGMP/MLD?

Basically, the ULE decapsulator in the dvb-core module checks the same list of multicast addresses which is also used by the MPE part. This list is completely managed by the OS (net/core/dev_mcast.c), so we just accept the mc addresses which have been joined. This is, if we're in "multicast" mode.
In "all-multicast" mode, we accept every mc address.
When the dvb net interface is activated, the "all-hosts" group (224.0.0.1) is automatically joined.

We're currently checking the differences from draft-03 of ULE up to the final RFC in order to verify that the decaps code is complient with RFC 4326.

Kind regards,
Christian Praehauser.