Re: MAC/NPA question

Hello Prashant,

P.Pillai@Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi Bernhard
>
> Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
>
> So Am I correct in saying that the destination MAC/NPA address in mainly
> required for on-board processing systems so that the data (between 2

certainly NO. "Taste" cannot easily and objectively be described as good
or bad. There are other good reasons to have/use a Destination Address,
such as filtering. But, there is no such "mainly required for".

What one can say is that the Destination Address can be used for
addressing and filtering purposes and there are special cases where it
use is mandatory.

> receivers)can be directly routed from the satellite itself, instead of first
> sending it to the ground hub and then to the other receiver?

The issue here is less whether the routing is on-board or not but the
multiplexing of TS streams and layer 2 destination addressing.

> Regards
> Prashant

Regards,
Bernhard