RE: ULE over DVB-H

Hi All

DVB-H is (like DVB-T) specifically intended to be a unidirectional
system with any ancillary point-to-point data occurring over IP (and
none-MPEG2) bearers (i.e. GPRS and friends).

As such, the original mandate to use ULE (2-way links) does not apply.
So please, please, please check the ULE design assumptions. E.g. the
time slicing and MPE-FEC frames may interfere with your packing and
timing assumptions.

Also, the DVB-H and ULE design assumptions because the intended
applications - hence I feel it has no bearing on the viability of ULE
whether it is every used over DVB-H. conversely, use over 2-way DVB-S
links seems to be essential to prove ULE's viability.

DVB operates on a process of commercial requirements -> technical
requirements -> technical proposals and specifications -> technical
standards and guidelines. A commercial requirement within DVB-CM
demonstrating the need for something other-than-MPE would be needed for
ULE to be viable over DVB-H. (Assuming, you share my opinion that
without DVB and thus ETSI adoption of a DVB-H bearer technology, it has
no viability in anycase).

MPE-FEC was created through a design process I was not involved in.
However it would be prudent to try and get an understanding of it's
design selections and assumptions if you were to attempt a ULE-FEC. For
academic purposes it would be interesting to merely copy the MPE-FEC
approach with R-S and the same framing parameters.

For the "delta-t", I came to the conclusion that (c) a header extension
would be the best approach (a few years ago when I was curious about the
feasibility of ULE for DVB-H - another lifetime :)

I think it would be interesting to check the feasibility of ULE over
DVB-H, but am not currently optimistic about it's uptake potential.

Cheers, Rod.