Re: Thoughts on CRC usage

On 2/11/05 11:38 am, "Marie-Jose Montpetit"
<mariejose.montpetit@verizon.net> wrote:

> What is the policy of the IETF as regards "work in progress"? I had the
> impression that to be standardised an approach had to have been implemented.
>
> /mjm

A standards-track document (BCP, Standard) has to be supported by
implementations from independent sources. This is a pre-requisite for a
standards-track protocol to progress as an IETF document. RFC 2026 says:
 " In general, an Internet Standard is a specification that is stable
   and well-understood, is technically competent, has multiple,
   independent, and interoperable implementations with substantial
   operational experience, enjoys significant public support, and is
   recognizably useful in some or all parts of the Internet. "

There is no requirement that all work brought to the IETF is implemented, or
even published - although both are useful ways to build consensus and ensure
correctness of an approach :-)

Gorry