RE: Adding ULE into a network already using MPE...

I also support distinguishing encapsulation protocols via PMT.

Satyajit

"Goldberg, Adam" <agoldberg@sharplabs.com>
Sent by: owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk

08/04/2005 11:45 AM
Please respond to ipdvb

        To:        ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Adding ULE into a network already using MPE...

Sure, you can decide to not use the mechanisms already existent in an MPEG
Transport Stream (B, C), but in doing so you merely cause redesign or
purchase of special-purpose "MPEG" processing devices.

Make it a Transport Stream.  This has very little real overhead, requiring
only a PAT and PMT.  The PMT is very lightweight but yet can easily signal
which elementary streams (er, "PIDs") are encoded with what protocols.

This has many advantages:  You don't need to reinvent anything (inband
signaling) -- merely an identifying descriptor; you don't have to require
multiplexers and other non-IETF MPEG processing devices do anything special
(that is to say, you don't require existing MPEG processing devices to also
process nonstandard IETF things); IETF streams would coexist peacefully with
non-IETF streams in a Transport Stream; it's very extensible to other
encapsulation formats yet-to-be-defined.

Adam Goldberg
Director, Television Standards & Policy Development
Sharp Laboratories of America
8605 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 206
Vienna, VA  22182
703-556-4406