Re: Non-IP Protocol Support

In some environments 802.1pQ; Metro Ethernet; LLC-based control packets
(such as spanning tree); MPLS, etc are seen as important to provide
management and control the L2 network. These and others are all supported by
the ULE protocol type, and can be all used for IP network traffic.

When we come to talking about security threats and requirements, it would be
sensible to examine IPv4 and IPv6 as the most important services. If we can
analyse this, we will be doing well.

Future work may then also address other non-IP traffic flows (should this
seem tractable and useful). One possibility is, I understand, to allow
IP-based key management for non-IP flows (with some design trade-offs), but
this requires extra work to define how this could happen. Another
possibility is not to use alternate key management for these applications.

Gorry