From: owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk [mailto:owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:39 PM
To: ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Adding ULE into a network already using MPE...

    I was thinking along those lines.  The sender associates the
encapsulation method with a particular PID and "knows" (via AR) which
PID to use to send to a particular receiver.  Receivers which only
understand MPE only use MPE PIDs.  Receivers which understand ULE and
MPE determine which method is being used by which PID is being received.
(I think the ULE capable receivers will still need to support MPE for
multicast traffic that is shared with "older" terminals.)

    I was wondering if there is a way for the receiver to look at the
header and determine if it is ULE or MPE on the fly.  I haven't taken a
close look at it yet.  But, I suspect that it is not reliably
possible...

John

Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:

>I think this is one thing that could be solved by some of the
>configuration work that was started where you could associate a PID to
>an encapsulation. You may not want to ignore the new encapsulation.
>
>Marie-Jose

encapsulation.