From: owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk [mailto:owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk] On
Behalf Of Gorry Fairhurst
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:26 PM
To: ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Proposed Changes to ULE text - Format descriptors for SI sign
alling

See in-line,

On 31/7/05 9:02 pm, "Goldberg, Adam" <agoldberg@sharplabs.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I feel a need to be pedantic.
>
> See ISO/IEC 13818-1 §2.4.1.  A Transport Stream consists of "... one or
more
> programs ...".  Also, "The Program Map Table, in Table 2-28, specifies,
> among other information, which PIDs, and therefore which elementary
streams
> are associated to form each program."

So, the document says in the paragraph before:

   The MPEG-2 specification [ISO-MPEG2] requires conformant TS
   Multiplexes to provide Program Specific Information (PSI) for
   each stream in the TS Multiplex. Other MPEG-2 based transmission
   standards may also define Service Information (SI).

> Therefore, if there aren't one or more "programs" (defined as a
"collection
> or program elements", where "program elements" means elementary streams),
or
> if there isn't a Program Map Table that specifies which elementary streams
> are associated with the (one or more) program(s), it isn't a "MPEG-2
> Transport Stream".  Just because it uses MPEG-2 Transport Stream packets,
> that doesn't make it a Transport Stream.

Therefore, conformant ISO 13818-1 TS do carry PMT tables, in which the ULE
Format descriptors SHOULD be included for the ULE streams.

The IETF defines (in RFC2119) that SHOULD, means "that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course".

In this case, it means "implement this" or the implication may be that the
stream is dropped by a TS multiplexor that does not recognise it.

Gorry