Proposed Changes to ULE text - Format descriptors for SI signalling

The ULE Spec is now completing IESG review, and will soon be ready for publishing as an RFC. With this in mind, the authors of ULE have progressed with registering a code-point for the SI that describes ULE. They propose an update the ULE Spec to include the appropriate text describing this, prior to publication as an RFC.

As I see it, there are three threads to this process - ISO format_id; DVB data_broadcast_id; and stream_type.

Please send thoughts on any or all of the points below to the mailing list...

Best wishes,

gorry

-----
1) Format ID

Proposed additional text for ULE RFC to specify what to do with PMTs on page 3:

Old:
  "The MPEG-2 specification [ISO-MPEG2] requires conformant TS
   Multiplexes to provide Program Specific Information (PSI) for
   each stream in the TS Multiplex. Other MPEG-2 based transmission
   standards may also define Service Information (SI)."

New:
  "The MPEG-2 specification [ISO-MPEG2] requires conformant TS
   Multiplexes to provide Program Specific Information (PSI) for
   each stream in the TS Multiplex. Other MPEG-2 based transmission
   standards may also define Service Information (SI).

  "A format_identifier value has been registered with the SMPTE RA
   [ULE1], for ULE. This has the hexadecimal value 0x554C4531
   ("ULE1"). Transport Streams that utilise the Programme
   Map Table (PMT) defined in ISO 13818-1 and that use the ULE
   format defined in this document, SHOULD insert a descriptor with
   this value in the PMT ES_info descriptor loop."

Add:
[ULE1] Registration for format_identifier ULE1, SMPTE Registration Authority, LLC, http://www.smpte-ra.org/ule1.html.

-----
2) Data broadcast descriptor

Although this was proposed at the last IETF meeting and via the mailing list, this has not currently been progressed. We can not currently see a specific need for this descriptor for ULE streams - the conventional use of the descriptor for MPEG Tables makes this less appropriate than (1) as a general-purpose method. A registration for ULE could still be done (before or after publishing the ULE RFC). Is there a need to do this now?

-----
3) Stream Type

As I understand, stream_type values are not normatively assigned by ISO, but conventions are documented by DVB and ATSC. We propose to continue to progress with requesting a value for ULE (starting with ATSC). It is not clear to me that the value needs to be specified in the published RFC - what do others think?