IP over DVB-S2

Dear all,

With our colleagues from Alcatel-Space, we are working on the mapping of IP
over DVB-S2.

Recall that DVB-S2 is the "second generation" DVB system for broadband
satellite service. It will probably replace DVB-S in the next few years.
You
can find the specifications in ETSI document - EN 302 307.

One of the main business targets of DVB-S2 is IP packet transmission. The
mapping/encapsulation of IP over this system remains an open research issue.
Actually, DVB-S2 proposes 2 modes to transport the data. The first one,
Transport Stream-TS, is designed to transport MPEG2-TS packets whereas the
second one, Generic Stream-GS, is designed to transport continuous streams
(which can be compound of variable size packets). Regardless of the chosen
mode, the resulting data are then mapped on Data Fields (of length varying
from 16008 to 58192 bits) to be encoded by the FEC (LDPC + BCH).

Several options can be considered for this mapping. We think that the ipdvb
group is a good place to start a discussion on this subject.
If you are interested on this subject, could you please manifest your
interest?

best regards,

Jerome Lacan
ENSICA/TeSA/LAAS-CNRS