Re: Allocation of a stream descriptor for MPEG-2

By all means do it the same on all MPEG-2 transports! To do this "right", you need to:

1. pick a stream_type value > 0x80 - look at the ATSC registry and find an unused one you like. Then send email to ATSC telling them what you did and providing a link to the IETF document for reference.
2. register a format_identifier value with the SMPTE RA, such as "ULE1"
3. require transports carrying these streams put the ISO 13818-1 registration descriptor in the PMT ES_info descriptor loop with the value assigned from #2 4. update the IETF document with the above information so you have interoperability

Steps #2 and #3 may seem a bit redundant if you pick an unused value in #1. However, there is no formal registry and your "assigned" value can in fact be legally used by anyone else. All of the above steps would be required in an ATSC transport. DVB and ARIB may be more flexible - don't know. But in any event, this is how it should be done to ensure unambiguous signaling of the stream containing these packets.

ISO will not assign you a value below 0x80 from 13818-1, Table 2.29 since they did not define the elementary stream.

As an analogy, AC-3 audio (not an ISO codec) is customarily stream_type=0x81 (in ATSC and DVB both), and requires the registration descriptor with the registered value "AC-3" in the PMT ES_info loop.

No coordination is needed if you document this in the IETF document - ATSC and DVB should simply do it as recommended. If you do not document this in the IETF document, then someone will have to pay attention in DVB and ATSC both to ensure it is done the same way and documented somehow. Better that you do it once.

Regards,

        Mike