RE: Forward from Art Alison: WGLC ULE - Data Broadcast Descripto rs

ARGH.  I fat-fingered 'send' before completing the email.  See below.

Adam Goldberg
Director, Television Standards & Policy Development
Sharp Laboratories of America
8605 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 206
Vienna, VA  22182
+1-703-556-4406
+1-703-556-4410 fax
+1-571-276-0305 cell

Channel",
> [...]
> than 'channel' vis-à-vis television.  This was my point actually, that
> those familiar with MPEG transport should not be assumed to be networking-
> types (even when speaking with respect to ULE).
>
> > > Additionally, it is also wrong or ill-specified to say "According to
> > MPEG-2
> > > ... TS Logical Channels ...".  There is no such concept defined or
> used
> > > within MPEG (unless what you really mean is elementary stream, in
> which
> > case
> > > what do you need this extraneous term for anyhow?).
> >
> > Again, elementary stream is not exactly what is being meant:
> > For example EN 300468 v1.5.1 defines:
> > "component (ELEMENTARY Stream): one or more entities which together make
> > up an event, e.g. video, audio, teletext"
> >
> > and says further:
> > "The component descriptor identifies the type of component stream and
> > may be used to provide a text description of the elementary stream"
> >
> > where:
> > "component_type: This 8-bit field specifies the type of the video, audio
> > or EBU-data component. The coding of this field is specified in table
> 26."
> > Table 26 then lists all kinds of video, audio, and teletext formats, but
> > unfortunately no networking formats.
> >
> > At other places this standard is as innovative/creative in naming:
> > "event: grouping of elementary broadcast data streams with a defined
> > start and end time belonging to a common service, e.g. first half of a
> > football match, News Flash, first part of an entertainment show"
> > What is a "elementary broadcast data streams"? Not by guessing but by
> > definition?
> >
> > > In any case, Art is certainly correct that merely identifying a "TS
> > Logical
> > > Channel" as a sequence of packets identified with a common PID value
> > without
> > > identifying the PSI details is an invitation to multiplexers and
> > > remultiplexers to drop those packets on the floor.
> >
> > Oh yes, this is the real problem of defining something outside
> > television standardiszation bodies: one risks that ULE packets are being
> > dropped.
> > We have discussed basically two approaches:
> > 1. define the PSI and get an ID, or tag, or "stream_type" for ULE, or 2.
> > define ULE and let somebody else do the PSI work.
> > We have had some reasons for choice 2.
>
> This is a very easy thing to fix and something which should be done.
> Without defining a stream_type for ULE data, it is neither possible to
> construct a transport stream compliant with MPEG-2 nor one that
> interoperates with other ULE equipment.
>
> ATSC maintains a 'codepoint registry', and would be happy to allocate a
> stream_type value for ULE data upon request from IETF.  Furthermore, the
> text to specify usage of the stream_type would be reasonably easy (and
> perhaps ties in to my suggested "SNDU Stream" definition (that is, define

SNDU Stream: a sequence of MPEG-2 Transport Stream packets identified by a
common PID value of stream_type <0xnn>.

All that then remains, I think, would be to signal when a Program carries
SNDU Stream(s), and what it means when there are more than one SNDU Stream
per program, or more than one Program that carries one or more SNDU Streams.