RE: Forward from Art Alison: WGLC ULE - Data Broadcast Descripto rs

I apologize for being "late to the party", but:

I do not see a particular need to define new term "TS Logical Channel", and
indeed doing so creates risks of ill-specification (such as those Art points
out), as well as confusion heaped upon someone familiar with MPEG-2
Transport (as typically used in entertainment delivery).

Furthermore, the definition is quite wrong with respect to ATSC and DVB use
of "specific TS Logical Channels".  To my knowledge, this internet-draft is
the only document anywhere which uses such terms.  It is certainly true that
MPEG, DVB and ATSC define //elementary streams// identified by stream_type
values. I suspect this is what is meant by "TS Logical Channel", but it is
difficult for me to tell.

(from the draft)
   TS Logical Channel: Transport Stream Logical Channel. In this
   document, this term identifies a channel at the MPEG-2 level [ISO-
   MPEG]. It exists at level 2 of the ISO/OSI reference model. All
   packets sent over a TS Logical Channel carry the same PID value
   (this value is unique within a specific TS Multiplex). According to
   MPEG-2, some TS Logical Channels are reserved for specific
   signalling purposes. Other standards (e.g., ATSC, DVB) also reserve
   specific TS Logical Channels.

While I'm commenting on this definition, it also seems to me that "channel
at the MPEG-2 level" is either wrong or also ill-specified.  What's a
channel?  If you're talking about MPEG-2, it's certainly conceivable that
the reader may associate "channel" with "[television] channel" - which are
the subject of a large amount of ATSC and DVB systems.

Additionally, it is also wrong or ill-specified to say "According to MPEG-2
... TS Logical Channels ...".  There is no such concept defined or used
within MPEG (unless what you really mean is elementary stream, in which case
what do you need this extraneous term for anyhow?).

In any case, Art is certainly correct that merely identifying a "TS Logical
Channel" as a sequence of packets identified with a common PID value without
identifying the PSI details is an invitation to multiplexers and
remultiplexers to drop those packets on the floor.

If there remains an opportunity to repair what I believe to be errors in the
draft, I'm eager and willing to participate from a MPEG-2 entertainment
(which is to say, legacy use of MPEG-2 Transport) point of view.

[Apologies for being strident at all, to say nothing of at such an
apparently late stage - if the above is perceived as such]

Regards,

Adam Goldberg
Director, Television Standards & Policy Development
Sharp Laboratories of America
8605 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 206
Vienna, VA  22182
+1-703-556-4406