Re: LLC support in DVB , ATSC, MPEG-2? - DO WE NEED A NEW EXTENSION?

On Feb 02 2005, at 20:47 Uhr, Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

I recommend that we publish ULE without this new specific optimisation, with the understanding that once the requirements are understood and optimisations considered, a separate short ID could be written defining how to do ROHC (or optimised LLC... etc) over ULE.

That's certainly fine with me: the new extension header can be added at any time. We just should consider whether it is good to have implementations out there that do ULE but don't do the compact LLC.

The protocol designer in me has the general feeling that the asymmetry (can choose to use/not use MAC addresses with ethertype, must use MAC with length) is wrong. I can't point out the specific example that would validate that feeling now -- apart from ROHC, whose details haven't been decided.

Gruesse, Carsten