ATSC

Art,

Sorry for the terse answer, earlier. The authors (and I do expect the WG
too) value the inputs and experience of both the ATSC & DVB communities.

The chief goal of the WG is to develop protocols and documents to define how
the IP protocol suite (both IPv4 and IPv6) is to use these services as a
link within the Internet.  It includes specification of appropriate ways to
bind the end-to-end IP addresses to the L2 network. This also explicitly
includes how arp, neighbor discovery would be used, how to handle multicast
routing, support for Uni-directional links, etc.

There are many scenarios in which MPEG-2 is used, and one of the objectives
of the (arch) document that just went through WGLC was to define specific
scenarios as useful basis for future work. 6 of these were defined. Scenario
A relates to the broadcast TV case (as in figure 4.1 of A/90), which you
referred to. In this case, the text of the Internet Draft seems to follow
the requirements, that you mentioned, i.e.:

Section 3.3 says:
   "In a more complex example, the same TS may be fed to multiple MPEG-2
    multiplexors and these may, in turn, feed other MPEG-2 multiplexors
    (remultiplexing). Remultiplexing may occur in several places (and is
    common in Scenarios A and B of section 3.1)."

And 5.1 says:
   "Elements (ii) and (iii) need to be de-referenced via indexes to the
    Service Information (i.e. the Program Map Table, PMT) when the
    MPEG-2 Transmission Network includes remultiplexors that renumber
    the PID values of the TS Logical Channels that they process. (Note
    that PIDs are not intended to be end-to-end identifiers). However,
    although such use is common in broadcast TV networks, many private
    networks do not need to employ multiplexors that renumber PIDs
   (see section 3.2)."

As far as I can see, the set of ATSC references in the arch document refer
only to push (uni-directional) transmission of IP multicast content.

While IP multicast is in important service for MPEG-2 bearers, the WG scope
is to provide IP in general (unicast, multicast, routing, etc), linking IP
networks using the MPEG-2 link. It would also be useful to point the WG to
any other documents from the ATSC community that relate to two-way IP
services.

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst.