RE: security considerations wrt/ draft-ietf-ipdvb-arch-01.txt

It should be clear to anyone informed about MPEG2 TS multiplexers that using
a fixed PID introduces significant complexity for management of a TS
intended for broadcast to consumers. Re-multiplexers drop such PIDs from the
stream unless specifically programed for special treatment of the fixed PID
(the value of which has to be communicated via 'other' means). IMHO, this
makes the entire solution/approach developed by this group generally useless
for the transmission path from a broadcaster to the consumer (which also
goes through cable system remultiplexers).

The address resolution and scoping of 'network' issues have been resolved by
the ATSC. The method of delivery of IP traffic that is documented is proven.
It is offered in products from multiple vendors and is being used every day
(and has been for a few years) in the real world for delivery of IP traffic
via over the air broadcast to consumers.

Inventing another solution for the broadcast OTA link seems to be wasted
effort - especially a solution that is fundimentially as flawed as to
require a fixed PID.

Perhaps now is the time to recognize that this IETF work is really optimized
for other MPEG-TS-using networks and its claimed scope should be reduced to
the other transmission links, where folks determine that the 2.2% overhead
the 'fixed PID' approach requires is actually less than one obtains with
DSMCC for the traffic they expect to flow.

Art Allison
NAB S&T
p.s. If someone would like more information see A/92 and applicable parts of
A/90 at www.atsc.org. Also note, as it may not be obvious, that the
DSMCC-based technology in these standards is seperable from the ATSC
announcement technology and then is applicable to any TS.