RE: security considerations wrt/ draft-ietf-ipdvb-arch-01.txt

George's observations are valid, but I an sure that mandiating a link level security will significantly reduce the deployability of this architecture. In the short and medium term there is no hope of convergence to a single "MPEG2-TS link layer security" method. So I think George is right when he asks for a "definition of what that security service is, and how it would be integrated with the IP layer related services, such as DVB address resolution" - the document is well on the way to this. However, the architecture needs to be modular enough to enable the current mix of solutions to be used and make space for future ones.

IMHO, some requirements and guidelines on the link layer security would be sufficient.

BTW, I'm sorry I've been too busy to do a detailed review of draft-ietf-ipdvb-arch-01.txt review, but here are a few comments that should help at high level scan review:

* The document looks good and the flow and level of detail looks right
* The table of contents needs page numbers
* the "Change Notice:" should be described in a annex including a note to the RFC Editor that they are not to be included in the RFC
* "D-TV" of figure 1 should be "terrestrial" to be in line with "satelite" and "cable" (all 3 can deliver D-TV and more).
* "Data-cast" is correctly spelt "Datacast" and is more commonly known as "IP Datacast" in this context (other-than-IP packetisation over broacast also gets labelled datacast from time to time)
* I get the impression that it is an intentional limitation of the AR that it applies only to the current TS (as you would expect cf ARP). This is a sensible limitation but it's worth stating explicitly. (i.e. that address resolution for other TSes, e.g. for moving TS and mobility optomisation, is not in scope).
(You can see that level at which I read :)

Also, what is the "statement of intent"? (i.e. I assume the intention is to give this to the IESG to become an Informational RFC, but the WGLC doesn't say. Experimental could be an option if there is any intent to turn this into a normative specification once other IPDVB I-Ds progress - though I have not got the impression that this has been asked for).

Cheers, Rod.