Re: Bringing the ARCH draft to WG Last Call

Some thoughts are in-line:

Martin Stiemerling wrote:

Hi,

--On Mittwoch, 18. August 2004 6:51 Uhr -0400 Marie-Jose Montpetit <mariejose.montpetit@verizon.net> wrote:

| There are a few remainning outstanding issues before the ARCH draft can be | brought to WGLC. These were briefly discussed at the IETF but need a wider
| discussion on the list.
| 1. Should there be some requirements to allow end to end management of IP
| flows
| this would enable enable operators to better configure, verify and
| distribute policies regarding specific flows; there is heritage there from
| the cable industry

I currently have the problem to understand what exactly the end-to-end management of IP flows is in the context of ipdvb. Management means too many different things to people. Could you give me a hint?

Edge-to-Edge, End-to-End ... These are always confusing terms. My take is something like: the ipdvb WG is to look at solutions that enable MPEG-2 transmission networks to be more fully integrated into IP networks as a subnetwork technology. E-to=E means from IP-router to IP-router or end-host to IP-router or IP-router to end-host.

The work includes seamless (where possible) support for IP network functions (IPv6, mobility, security, diffserv, MPLS(?), etc etc), more integrated operations (i.e. ability to interact/inform MPEG-2 transmission network components such as encapsulators and receivers - to indicate the properties of the IP flows which they are to transport). Things to consider include, where policies and decisions made in using the MPEG-2 transmission network for specific IP flows (which specific PIDs are used, which encapsulation is used, which encaps options, which MPEG-2 QoS functions, priority, multicast config, etc).

It may be hard to cover all scenarios with a single set of protocols, and we need to be clear of the different usages. Getting the terminology correct will also be challenging.

| 2. Should address resolution be used to map specific addresses to PIDs
| with special features
| This would allow to combine AR with resource management, load balancing
| and QoS

The Internet-style solution would be AR does AR, no more no less. All the other things belong into different protocols, it should be all IETF-safe "Protocol do only things they are intended to do" and Keep it Simple, Stupid (KISS).

Aha - but in MPEG-2 I see  "resolution" occurs at three levels

(i)   IP -> resolution to NPA/MAC address (as in ethernet);
(ii)  IP -> resolution to Packet ID (PID);
(iii) IP -> resolution to specific transmission multiplex/phy link.

The WG includes all of these as part of the "resolution" process.
- This was the intended scope of a WG AR draft.

  Martin

| 3. Should extension headers carry information about the cell content over
| the MPEG-2 section of the network
| There are multiple uses of that including flow management.
|
| In addition we will add a protocol stack to the draft to show where ULE
| is.
|
| Since we would like to finalise this shortly I would appreciate comments
| on these issues and closure before 6/25.
|
| Thanks
|

| Marie-Jose Montpetit

Gorry