Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:25:42 -0400
To: ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
From: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Subject: Fwd: RE: FW: General Request for Assignments (if-type) (Dost)
Cc: Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>

Hi All,

This is not quite IPDVB-related, but this seems like the most likely place to reach DVB experts in the IETF...

Do you have any comments on the attached request that IANA allocate two if-type values for (apparently) DVB-related protocols? Particularly, do you have any thoughts on whether these are proprietary or industry standard protocols?

AFAIK, there is no problem with allocating these values, we are just trying to determine how they should be named.

Please include Bert Wijnen in any responses, as he may not be subscribed to the IPDVB list.

Thanks!

Margaret

  these if-types.

  >>  The types dvbSpiIn and dvbSpiOut are not proprietary,
  these are the
  >>  synchronous parallel interfaces described in DVB-PI or EN 50083-9.
  >>  Our equipment supports these interfaces in some
  configurations. There
  >>  are configuration with only input interfaces and
  configurations with
  >>  only output interfaces.
  >>
  >>  The equipment always uses these interfaces in High
  Quality Video over
  >>  ATM applications, so for the input interface we take the
  MPEG of the
  >>  DVB-SPI and put that into AAL1, for the output interface
  we take an
  >>  AAL1 ATM stream and output that on the DVB-SPI interface.
  >>
  >>  The interfaces themself comply to the DVB Standards.
  >>
  >>  sdtiIn and sdtiOut interfaces are compliant to the standard
  >>  SMPTE 305M-2000 (Society of Motion Picture and Television
  Engineers).

  >>  These interfaces are used the same way as the DVB-SPI interfaces,
  >>  namely input or output only, and for transport of High
  Quality Video
  >>  over ATM.
  >>
  >>  We would like to register these if-types to use them in our SNMP
  >>  management for our systems. The if-types are free to be
  used by others
  >>  for the same purpose. If there is a standard SMPTE or DVB MIB for
  >>  management of DVB-ASI, DVB-SPI or SMPTE SDTI interface I would be
  >>  glad to hear about. If you know such a standard, please send
  >>  a reference
  >>  to this, as it is not known to me at current.
  >>
  >>  If you need further information, please feel free to contact me.
  >>
  >>  Best regards,
  >>  Christian Dost
  >>
  >>  > Dear Christian,
  >>  >
  >>  > Our if-type experts have reviewed your application.
  >>  > Comments are inline.
  >>  >
  >>  > Best regards,
  >>  >