Réf. : RE: Security Considerations section for draft-fair-ipdvb-req-04. txt

hi everybody

just a small comment concerning Art considerations :
encryption (e.g. in a DVB-RCS system) is mainly intended to data privacy
protection that is to avoid others receiving
the same channel from being able to look into content (and not the volume
of traffic) you are receiving.
This can apply to closed groups as you said (e.g. VPN or Intranets), but
can as well apply to individual
consumers. Even if data itself is not as sensitive.. but who likes that
poeple know which kind of content he is browsing at home...

Even if the subnetwork is a broadcast type as cable, point to point should
be allowed if satellites are to
be used as broadband Internet access solutions.

In fact, going into issues on how to manage and exchange keys etc is out of
scoop of our work.
These are more related to the control and management plans and we can
re-use what have been defined in DVB-RCS.
We have just to address what is required from an encapsulation point of
view (data plan)

regards
Tarif

"Allison, Art" <AAllison@nab.org>@erg.abdn.ac.uk on 22/03/2004 22:37:42

Veuillez répondre à ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk

Envoyé par :      owner-ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk

Pour : "'ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk'" <ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
cc :
Objet :     RE: Security Considerations section for
       draft-fair-ipdvb-req-04.     txt

It seems we must have a different environment and application in mind and
therefore may be talking past each other.

It seems that you envision some of the traffic being directed to a narrow
set of users (transported by the RF), who will have the keys to de scramble
the packets, and who don't want anyone to know the amount of their traffic.
If just these users' traffic is scrambled the traffic analysis can still
reveal changes in the total amount of private (scrambled) data. <the
solution to that is to scramble everything, which leads to the need to
address the key management and distribution issues--but that does not seem
to be a light weight approach.>

I thought this was a Broadcast means, not a narrowcast means. If one were
dedicate part of the bandwidth to send sensitive data, do so in a private
manner, not a internationally standardized one.  Why give an attacker any
information at all? And as one has to get the CA system in place for these
users, any protocol can do that (can even use a PID that is not in the
PMT).

Second, it seems out of scope to put elements in the RF emissions that
belong in the contribution process. It seems that you are concerned about
attacks on the data flow up to the RF emission. This is a valid and
important concern; but seemingly not relevant to a light weight emission
protocol.
Certainly, these elements are appropriate to consider when it is practical
to replace packets.

Protection vs. replacement packets in the RF domain is just overkill.
See comments below...
Art
::{)>
Art Allison