Re: Encryption control of SNDU

Thanks Alain for the example "extension format"

- I like the idea you put forward of extension headers for optional items,
the the Receiver *may* wish to use to enhance processing - this can be very
powerful, particularly with unidirectional and/or multipoint feeds, and
avoids explicit configuration for each Receiver.

- But I think the encryption information is mandatory to processing the
SNDU, so an alternate way to extend the header would be to assign one (or a
block of several contiguous) codepoints from the TYPE field. This could be
more efficient to implement, and would carry the same semantics as other
packet types - i.e. The type field indicates how to demultiplex the PDU. An
example could be:

< ----------------------------- SNDU ----------------------------- >
+-+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
|D| Length | ENC |ETYPE |                PDU              | CRC-32 |
+-+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

Where ENC = a predefined 2B TYPE  value, and ETYPE is the 2B type field
Corresponding to the PDU. Several ENC values could be specified.
Additional overhead = 2B.

If necessary, one or more bytes could be added between ENC and ETYPE,
It would be useful to think if these were desirable i.e. could assist
security decoding (or not).

So, I'm saying is:

(i) We now have two ways to extend ULE, we need to see which is most
appropriate, and for what.

(ii) The part of the text that I cut is equally important, we need inputs on
*WHY* and *HOW* the encryption should be done.

Gorry Fairhurst.