Re: Réf. : RE: Question on Continuity Counter field

Before we look at any new ideas for potentially easing use of ULE over regenerative satellites, I'd like to clearly understand the points raised below, specifically the correct sender/receiver behaviour as required by MPEG-2:

Allison, Art wrote:

So... what if the source MPEG-2 Transport stream has two packets that are
identified by the same PID which do not increment the CC (because the
content did not change)?
So is this where the sender (encapsulator) intentionaly replicates exactly the last TS-Packet?

This language would seem to require the CC to be incremented, which would
result in the duplicated data being presented to the parser as if it is the
next data in sequence. The resulting stream would no longer meet
13818-1:2000 and receiver behavior is unpredictable. Note that the packet
could be a table section, where error concealment is not an option.
If you're saying duplication is a valid technique to conceal loss, then the appropriate response should be to discard any duplicates (with identical CC). This is not what the current ID text says.

~If at all possible, ULE should be designed to fully conform to ISO MPEG-2 TS, that is a stated goal.

Some new text is now definitely required.

Also see my earlier post for other conditions where this payload counter
should not be incremented..

Further, requiring the ULE layer to touch this payload value seems like a
cross between layers and therefore a questionable design...
The current text did NOT require acceess to the CC field. The actual text, only permitted this: "The Receiver MAY also check"... There are alos other ways of verifying framing and integrity in ULE.

Best wishes,

Gorry

Art
::{)>