Re: Call for the ipdvb WG to adopt: draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-02.

On 12/2/04 8:16 am, "Rod.Walsh@nokia.com" <Rod.Walsh@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi Gorry & WG
>
> I also support ULE adoption as a WG draft.
>
> Please spell out the proposed timeframe as this has a big effect on
> the quality of the final document developed.

There are now several early implementations being developed, so I'm keen to progress this, in parallel with this.

The milestones for ULE are on the ipdvb Charter page at: http://ietf.org/

> BTW, the "option (2)" is rather confusing

Sorry, it was just a general form of words for adopting a WG item. The aim is to allow people to tell the WG, if there is another (competing) ID on the way, or some alternative approach that also would address the charter, and hence they have concerns about adopting the WG item.

> "That there is (or could be)
> alternative approaches to the problem, and that the current draft is
> not sufficiently developed", since there is an existing solution (MPE)
> and there certainly are alternatives (even ipdvb started with 2 :).

Indeed MPE exists - and is acknowledged in the WG Charter.

The UNISAL encapsulation is not (as far as I am aware) being resubmitted to this WG as a competitor to ULE.

> Also, the point of
> chartering into a WG is to develop the work-in-progress draft with the
> aim of publishing as an RFC - not just rubber stamp the individual
> draft with an RFC number.

Exactly, the WG is now looking for any inputs and/or potential concerns.

> Is this just imprecise wording, or have I misunderstood? - please
> clarify.

The wording of (2) was loose, to allow scope to respond - thanks for asking.

> (I'll be in Korea, so would be happy to share a couple of round with
> anyone interested in a bar-WG - not a bar-bof anymore :)
>
> Cheers, Rod.

>>> 0020:  00 05 20 01 06 60 30 08 17 89 00 00 00 00 00 00  .. ..`0.........
>>> 0030:  00 06 80 00 9c 58 07 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02  .....X.p........
>>> 0040:  72 c9 c2                                         r..
>>>
> - The exact decode of this needs to be done and verified
>

> 5) ???

5= Consideration of the proposed ULE Extension Header