ULE extension headers

Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:

I support the adoption of the ID as WG document. I also suggest for point 5) extension headers in ULE for future services.

I agree with an extension header for future services.

I would propose to do it in an IPv6-style, using some values in the 1-1500 part of next header, to signal the extention header(s). Such headers could then have a fixed and well known begining :
   +---+---+---+--//  ..... // ----+
   |   NH  | L |  extension value  |
   +---+---+---+--//  ..... // ----+

 NH : 2 bytes, defines the type of next field which could then be,
      a classical ULE payload (0x800 for IPv4 ...) or even another
      extension header.
 L  : length in bytes of the header.

Even some values range could be reseved for that purpose, that would allow implementation to be compatible with still not known extensions. And even that would indicate the behaviour if extension is not known.

exemple :
1280 <= type field < 1304  :  optional extension, if not known,
                              just skip  and process next
1304 <= type field < 1408  :  critical extension, if not known, stop
                              processing, drop ULE SNDU, and possibly
                              report an error to emitter
                             (if possible, but how ??, usefull ??,  ..)

I chose those values as exemple because
  - they are in the 1-500 range
  - they have a nice bit pattern and can be checked with a single AND

Still about the type field :
I think it would be good to reseve a certain range of these values, for experimental uses, which would garanty  that (if respected ;-))) there would be no conflict with due reserved values. 1408 <= type field < 1472  :  reseved for experimental purpose, In
                              operational use, such SNDU MUST be
                              silently dropped.

All this is very little implementation and keeps the door opened for any future services.

Your thoughts about this ?

Regards.
Alain.
--