Re: FINAL CALL for Feedback on Charter

On 26/11/03 2:03 pm, "Allison, Art" <AAllison@nab.org> wrote:

> The charter's focus on IP over MPEG-2 being DVB centric is very troublesome.

Where does it say it is DVB-based (it shouldn't)?

- The DVB examples in  para 1 were brought to the mailing list, if you wish
to add other examples of IP over ATSC, then please do suggest some....

> Certainly the developed method should enable IP over DVB-flavored
> Transports. However, as an international standard, it should enable IP over
> all flavors of transport, and not discriminate against other flavors.  ATSC,
> ISDB and other systems (China's) should be enabled as well.  A generic
> solution abstracted from the details of transport would seem to have a much
> larger marketplace.
>
> I note that delivery of IP over MPEG-2 has been solved for the ATSC

- Good, we'd particularly welcome your experience, especially if you can
contribute experience for using IPv6, especially autoconfiguration.

> transport, and while the standard is tied to ATSC announcement, that tie
> could be abstracted, as it is not the heart of the technology. The IP
> therein is a technically separable layer. The essence of the standard is how
> to deal with the one-way issues that contrast IP over broadcast vs. two way
> over the internet.
>
> See http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_92.pdf
>
> The current scope seems to be one of requiring re-inventing the wheel, and
> being narrow while doing so... perhaps a broader view would better serve the
> world.

By broader do you mean not specific to ATSC;DVB; etc?

> Art
> ::{)
> Art Allison
> Director Advanced Engineering